Pilates Specialty Training Preparation Course Prerequisite for ALL TRACKS.
In a growing climate of popular “fast track” and modular Professional teacher training, little or no time is allotted for the essential understanding and foundation of movement. Down the line, the gap between repertoire and “real time” body knowledge grows. To be relevant, the fairly new professional now needs more professional knowledge to attract a growing market of clients with more specific needs. Core Intelligence will help you build beyond your existing expertise as you gain more confidence, broaden your knowledge, and develop skills that allow you to cater to a larger clientele base.
Core Intelligence is a preparatory or pre-Pilates course. The 30 hours of curriculum will cover the latest theories and principles of defining the core and its applications to the stable torso in the Pilates environment. The course will be illustrated with a unique PowerPoint presentation that addresses the core system, including the diaphragm and respiratory system, the pelvic floor, lumbar spine as well as related scapular stabilization. The Core Intelligence repertoire includes ‘the Sling Systems’, a cutting edge body of work created by Marie-José Blom that addresses every aspect of ‘the Core’. The ‘Sling Systems’ repertoire is reinforced by springs and slings on the trapeze table designed for biofeedback and technique support. The course is hands-on with active participation and role playing – both as student and instructor. The curriculum will focus on proper exercise biomechanics that enhance optimal form and alignment by mastering core ability in a stable environment and then challenging the same core ability in an unstable environment. The exercises progress systematically from the mat to the trapeze table where resistance is introduced to establish inner strength reinforcing optimal alignment.
This course serves as a solid foundation course for those who are planning to take teacher training education and look for a career as a movement educator. This class also provides an excellent enhanced foundation and new repertoire skills for the already practicing instructor. Core Intelligence provides updated and exclusive material suitable for use in the clinical environment to refine rehabilitation protocols, back care classes and postpartum therapy according to principles introduced by Diane G. Lee, BSR, MCPA. This course offers CEC’s for the PMA.
Core Ability…the process and skill of learning to exercise for peak performance.
Core Ability is the efficient integration of the trunk stabilizing muscles, thereby reducing premature excessive global recruitment and decreasing strain on the musculoskeletal system. It is desirable to apply these principles to all exercise and rehabilitation protocols as well as in activities of daily living. Instructors also benefit by using this system approach in their own bodies as they improve their stamina and reduce strain while teaching their clients. Learning Core Ability proficiency pre-strengthens those clients with special needs. Through the instructors understanding of core training they will better be able to reduce injury rates, improve effectiveness of training and identify and isolate faulty movement patterns.
To build range, one goes deeper first, not farther.
The Core Intelligence skill technique elevates Pilates instruction to a new teaching plateau for the instructor by embracing the highest standards of teaching.
How does the term ‘Core’ differ from the term ‘Powerhouse’?
Joseph Pilates developed the term ‘The Powerhouse’ to describe stabilizing the pelvis by activating the abdominal muscles; one of the many reasons he was light years ahead of everyone else in physical training methodology.
The Powerhouse is often misinterpreted as a fast and heavy resistance workout. The true intention is mindful and precise movement. In the recent years exciting scientific research has come out that finally surpasses ‘what we knew then’ and has revolutionized how to proficiently train the stabilizing musculature and movement patterns, directing the concept to ‘working in’ first.
- Anatomical terminology and functional relationships of structures and their movement potential.
- Postural analysis and the new understanding of muscle system classifications such as the concepts of: Local Stabilizers vs. Global Stabilizers and Mobilizers.
- Effective skill development in efficiency of tactile and verbal cueing for Core Stability.
- Anatomy and biomechanics of each Core Stability system, their anatomical relationship to each other and their influence on posture.
- Protocol design of the repertoire from mat to equipment including the use of props.
Course Curriculum includes:
- Pre-Pilates Mat Repertoire focusing on back strength and maintenance, and core principles technique.
- In-depth functional core anatomy and respiratory biomechanics illustrated by 3D
presentations and PowerPoint.
- Practical application of these lessons is applied in the analysis of the movement
- The course is taught in a noncompetitive, supportive environment where each student
will experience the work hands on and will practice the teaching and cueing in one
Continuing Education Credit:
CECs for the course are available from Pilates Method Alliance
- The Pelvic Girdle, Diane Lee – ISBN-10: 0443073732
- Pelvic Power, Eric Franklin – ISBN-10: 0871272598
- Energy Medicine in Therapeutics and Human Performance, James Oshman – ISBN-10: 0750654007
- Anatomy of Breathing, Blandine Calais-Germain – ISBN-10: 0939616556
- Anatomy of Movement, Blandine Calais-Germain – ISBN-10: 0939616572
- The Female Pelvis, Blandine Calais-Germain – ISBN-10: 0939616386
- Muscles and Meridians: The Manipulation of Shape, Phillip Beach – ISBN-10: 0702031097
Agenda Day 1:
Introduction – What Defines Core?
Function of the Core: Hollowing or Bracing
Stability and It’s Relationship to Posture
Components of the Core Concept
Core and Gravity
Kinetic Spirals Key to Centering
Agenda Day 2:
Elements of Alignment
Starting Plateau for Fitness: The Respiratory Anatomy
Waking Up The Diaphragm
Agenda Day 3:
The Art of Core Connection through Tactile & Verbal Skill
Agenda Day 4:
Continued: The Art of Core Connection
The Pelvic Floor: The Other Diaphragm
Working from the Pelvic Floor
Core Intelligence Mat Work Foundation to Centering
Agenda Day 5:
Review of Core Intelligence Principals
A Pre-Pilates Equipment Supported Repertoire
Q & A